The area of Marshall County was one of the last to be settled in Indiana. In the early 1830s, with the planning of the Michigan Road, settlers began arriving. The original town was laid out by John Pleak and M. L. Smith in 1851, named Sidney after early settler and tavern owner Sidney Williams. The town of Fremont was laid out next to Sidney in 1856 by Joseph Rhoades and named for presidential candidate John Fremont. The two towns joined in 1859 and renamed Argos, the then name of the post office that served the two towns.
We are working on more information...check back later.
These are from a former Argos resident Bruce McCoige recounting his early memories of Argos.
Link to Argos High School Yearbooks.
Link to old maps from the Library of Congress
The South Bend Tribune's "History of Argos Reads Like Romantic Story" from November 27, 1927
The Marshall County Cemeteries Volume 1 & Volume 2 can be found at the button. These records are from Green & Walnut township, and are mapped and indexed. They are current up to the year 1985, to the best of our knowledge.